Sunday, October 5, 2008

Back Again!!!!!

Well it has been a while since I have posted anything. I was without a computor most of the Summer and I guess I am not really cut out to be a Big Time Blogger!


Anyhow, we are Banding again this Fall although the Migration of all Birds of Prey appear smaller this year. Weather may have played havoc on the Nesting and food supply of many of the Raptors. Northern Saw-whet Owls are moving through but nowhere near last years numbers, which is right in line with the 4-5 year Trend of thier Populations. They seem to crash heavily after a great year. This year we are catching more Foreign Birds than Hatch Year Birds (3 Foreign to 2 Hatch Year) out of 30 Saw-whets to date.

I banded my first ever Peregrine Falcon on the 23rd of September. We have now caught a Peregrine 3 of 4 years since we opened the Banding Station. Other birds banded to date are 4Red-tailed Hawks,2 Merlins , 2 Sharp-shinned Hawks and 1 Coopers Hawk.

We had our largest count Day on Septmber 16th with a total of 1671 Birds of Prey counted.In this total were 1568 Broad-winged Hawks. It a day I will soon not forget!
Our Osprey Platform was a Huge success ,and the pair was able to raise 3 chicks and have them Fledge! We banded the young Osprey on July 09. I was the charged with the Task of climbing the pole and lowering the Chicks one at a time to be Banded. One of the Adults keep a close Eye on me and made many Swooping Dives about 10 feet above my Head.
Untill next time !

No comments: