Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Peregrine Day!(aka Thanksgiving Day)




Well as I have said in the past" The weather is not very codusive for Hawk Migration and Banding". Until now!

A week Cold front pushed through on the weekend which brought a decent flight of Birds on Thanksgiving Day(07/10/08). My Banding partner was at the station and had 3 Peregrine Falcons all of the Tundrius Race came by. Attempts were made to lure them all in ,but only the 2nd reacted and was subsequently Banded. It was a Female HY(Hatch Year) Tundrius Race. This is only the 2nd Peregrine that we have Banded at our Station, but we have only been up and running for 3 Seasons. So I guess we are doing fairly well considering! This did however better our 1 Day total which was 2 last year, and we have now seen 4 on the year which is also a High for us!


Lets not forget the Red-tail and Sharp-shinned that were also banded on Thanksgiving Day.


The weather looks like it is starting to turn for the Better( Colder, and Colder) and will get the Migration back underway. I did manage to Band 6 Saw-whet Owls tonight (07/10/09)

2 comments:

mon@rch said...

That is my kind of thanksgiving day! WOW and congrats on catching that amazing falcon!

Cortez said...

Thanks Tom! I wish I was there to see it myself, but I was having a great time with my Family about 2 hours North near Parry Sound. My Kids were actually Swimming and learning to Wakeboard!!

Today we had a Golden Eagle go By the Raptor Station. What an amazing Bird!